Rosefield TownshipThe township is generally broken, except in the southwest corner, where some beautiful farms and good substantial farmers are to be found.
Early Settlers and First Events
1833 Amos Stevens came and located at the Kickapoo Forks. He built the first log cabin and broke the first prairie.
Shortly after him came Winney Rynearson and a brother of A. Stevens.
1835 John and David Combs, Lewis Cooledge and Wm. Nixon came.
1836 Benjamin Miller and Joseph Bohrer
First Church was a Methodist organized in 1837.
The first school-house was built on section 8, in 1838.
Rosewell Smith was the first teacher in the school-house, but the first school was held in a private house; taught by Martha Miller, daughter of Benjamin Miller in 1837.
The village of Oak Hill is situated on the C. B. & Q. R. R about twenty miles from Peoria, in Rosefield township. It was laid out and platted by Joseph Bohrer and Wm. M. Dodge in 1855. Mr. Bohrer was born in Frederick County, VA., on the 9th of May 1805. He was married February 1829 to Harriet Dawson and lived in Morgan County, VA., until 1836 when he came to Rosefield Township. There is at present three general stores. One owned and occupied by A.Y. Forney who commenced business in 1865, who was also has been postmaster about the same length of time. Mr. Jacob Dawson has been in business since the C. B. & Q. passed through; most of the time dealing in stock and grain; but at present in the mercantile business. W.W. Miller owns and occupies one of the stores. He came to the township among the earliest settlers. There is one church (Methodist); a good school building; two blacksmith shops and one warehouse.
In 1865 the camp ground of the M.E. Church was bought by the Peoria district, where thousands of people congregate yearly to worship. It is situated a short distance northwest of town, in a beautiful grove and has a fine spring of water n the ground.
Oak Hill Church - In 1837 or 38 the first M.E. Church was organized on section 14 and known as the Combs meeting-house.
Since that time the church has gone to decay. the church at Oak Hill was organized in 1845 and held their meetings in a school-house until 1858, when they erected a church edifice under the supervision of Rev. G. R. Palmer and at that time had a membership of about sixty.
After the new church was built the board of officers were:
Cutten Dawson , Daniel Brown , Austin Nixon, Jacob Gunth, Issac Wethrell , W.W. Miller, A. Dawson. The building committee officers were: Austin Nixon, W.W. Miller, J. Dawson
The Class leader was: A. Nixon
The cost of the building was 1,200.. Rev. C.W. Green has charge of the church and is doing a good work.
Has a school building 28x36, 16 feet C., and the attendance id forty. School is conducted by Miss Ida Burt.
The Methodist Church at Texas - This church was organized in Rosefield township, in 1854 and is known as the Wrigley Church. The original members were ten in number. the first class leader was Joseph Dunn. trustees were Robert Wrigley and Henry Robins. The first pastor was J. M. Snyder. For the first few years the society worship in a brick school-house. Their present church was built some time after 1860, a frame building 26X34 feet and will accommodate between 200 and 250. It cost 1,600..
Rosefield M. E. Church - The first Methodist class within the vicinity of the present church edifice was formed in 1844 or perhaps a year or two earlier with twelve original members. the first church edifice was built in 1854 and in 1874 was abandoned and a new church erected across the road, costing 1,650., and was dedicated by Rev. R. N. Morse. Although the building is not large it is however neat and attractive. The church is free from debt. The house is supplied with a good organ. At the present time the membership id twenty- four. Nelson Shepard is class leader and Sunday school superintendent; John Yinger, steward and these with John VanAnsdall, trustees. the pastors have been the same as at Pleasant Grove with few exception, prior to 1850.
Source: The History of Peoria County, Illinois, Johnson & Company, Chicago, 1880.