David G. Evans
Portrait Biographical Album of Peoria County, Illinois, Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County; Chicago: Biographical Publishing Co. 1890; pp. 448-449.
DAVID G. EVANS. Among the enterprising young farmers and stock-raisers, natives of Peoria County, not one has performed with more zeal and good practical results his share in pushing forward the work left them by their pioneer sires, which has made this one of the best developed and most valuable farming regions in this State. His interests are centered in Princeville Township, where he owns a finely improved farm, comprising parts of sections 9, 10, and 15. He has placed two sets of neat buildings on his farm and rents much of it.
Walker M. Evans, the father of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania, a son of Evan Evans, likewise a native of that State, where he was engaged as a miller until he came her in the early days of the settlement of the county and located in Radnor Township, of which he thus became a pioneer. He bought a mill on the Kickapoo, and carried on milling in connection with farming, and was much prospered in his work, placing himself among the well-to-do citizens of that township, and there his life was brought to a close at a ripe old age.
The father of our subject came here when a young man in pioneer days and assisted his father in the management of his farm and in operating the mill, he having an interest in the latter, and being a practical miller. He finally located on the Kickapoo, and was very successful in his efforts in improving his farmland, and he owned besides one hundred and sixty acres of excellent farming land in Princeville Township. He was ever a loyal and patriotic citizen, and when the war broke out quickly responded to the draft but was rejected on account of his age. He was a true Republican in politics and was ever zealous in his support of party principles. Religiously he was a Baptist and a consistent follower of that faith. At his death in April, 1879, the county lost a truly good and valued citizen. His widow, who is much esteemed in the community where she lives, still makes her home on the old homestead in Radnor. Her maiden name was Mary Dickinson, and she was born in Indiana, a daughter of John Dickinson, a farmer of that State. He early came to Illinois with his family, performing the journey with oxen, and was a pioneer farmer of Medina Township. Mrs. Evans has four children, namely: Adolphus and Evan living in Radnor Township; David G., our subject, and Aaron, a resident of Radnor Township.
He of whom we write was born on the banks of the Kickapoo, Radnor Township, February 26, 1857. His early days were passed on the farm, and he learned in boyhood the rudiments of agriculture. He gleaned a substantial education in the district schools, which he attended until he was twenty-one. He remained an inmate of the parental home until he attained his majority, and then came to Princeville Township, where he located on one of his father's farms, and in this township he completed his schooling. He settled on this place in February, 1880, buying seventy-two acres of it for $3,700, and immediately entered upon its improvement, and has since been carrying on the work. He has added to his original purchase until he owns two hundred and forty acres, minus six and one-half acres taken by the railway. This is all tillable, is well fenced, and is supplied with two sets of excellent buildings, as he rents a part of it, and as a whole it is one of the finest farms in the vicinity. His dwelling is a substantial, well-appointed house, 24x36 feet in dimensions, and the farm is supplied with the latest modern machinery. He has it well stocked, raises cattle, horses and hogs of an excellent grade. His horses are of the Norman and Belgian breeds, and he at one time owned the celebrated imported Belgian "Matchman."
Mr. Evans was married, in Princeville Village, February 25, 1879, to Miss Cynthia J. Graves. She was born near Chillicothe, Ohio, a daughter of William and Rebecca (Stretch) Graves. Mr. Graves was engaged in the teaming business while in Ohio but after coming to this county, he bought a farm in Princeville, and now lives retired on section 3, this township. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have five children - Myrtis, Irma, Vernis, Mervin, and Letia.
A man of decided character and of excellent mental and executive capacity, our subject is a conspicuous figure in every movement looking to the advancement of his township. He interests himself greatly in educational matters, and is President of the Board of School Directors, serving his third term. He is a member of the Horse Thief Detective Association at Princeville. He is prominently identified with the Patrons of Husbandry, having joined them at Salem when eighteen years of age, fifteen years ago. He is Master of the Monica Grange, of which he was a charter member, and was elected to his present position the first night of its organization, and has held it or two terms. In his religious belief he has a tendency to Methodism. Politically, he is a stanch Republican. He has served on the petit jury.